Sunday, October 10, 2010

Parachuting!

The day finally arrived. We were gonna go parachuting around noon. For two days we had been training for it and it was the training that had my quite worried. You see, static-line parachuting is fairly straightforward: you jump out of the plane when the instructor tells you, the chute auto-deploys, you perform a number of simple checks and then try to land softly, keeping your knees slightly bent and facing the direction of the wind.

The vast majority of the training is therefore devoted to all the things that could possibly go wrong and how to respond. All the horror scenarios I hadn't yet thought off beforehand were drilled into my head. From the chute deploying inside the plane to landing on the roof of a building and everything in between.

Naturally, the night before the jump I dreamt of a chute that didn't deploy and when it did, had its lines tangled. I didn't get much sleep. There was one final exam we had to pass. After that, we had to wait for another group to jump and for the plane to refuel. That hour was gruesome. Heart pounding in my throat, solid iron in my legs kinda gruesome.
The plane was ready, three of us first-timers were gonna go up with experienced skydivers. We would jump out at 3000 feet and they would climb to 10 000 feet to do free fall acrobatics. I'll never forget the moment the little red light turned green signalling our arrival at 3000 feet. This was it. The hatch opened and I would be the last of us to jump out. The first two made it look easy. Just sit in the opening, look over the wing and let go. When it was my turn, all emotion disappeared and I focused on the checklists I had to do.

The instructor was screaming stuff, but I couldn't hear her over the wind so I just nodded 'yes'. Then I heard 'go'. And I jumped.

Wait for my next post to hear how it turned out, gotta run now.

35 comments:

  1. Have a good time! I can't do it lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow awesome story hope to parachute one day too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose you didn't die, since you made this post. Nonetheless, interesting why people jump out of planes. I almost did it once. But the flight attendant wouldn't help me open the door. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous! I am really jealous!!!

    I'd love to do parachute training some day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah man, just reading that made me feel nervous. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a nice dream to have a day before lol, hope all goes well.

    thanks for the comment btw, got a new post up check it out

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow enjoy it, I'm going to be sky diving with my dad for his 40th in a few years =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments on my blog :)

    I have new bubbles on Enhanced by MS Paint!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to hear about your experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. God, scary. I hate heights. Don't know if I'd want to jump out of a plane myself, lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, takes some balls to do that. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good read, sounds like awesome fun. I want to try it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds exciting! can't wait for the continuation

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like fun, i'd never be able to do it though :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. i wouldnt so it either haha scary

    ReplyDelete
  17. God I've always wanted to go skydiving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gotta love that kind of training. "Remember, you can die in a vast array of hilarious deaths"

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks sick. I need to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great read! Looking forward to reading your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. that sounds cool i would love to do that one day

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've always wanted to try this I imagine it to be like a quick roller coaster ride.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've always been too afraid of heights to parachute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your first jump.. And good luck for the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. pff, parachute, og's use umbrellas

    ReplyDelete
  26. haha yea!! static line training - not bad at all, not bad at all. either aff or sl is good. get some pictures up?

    ReplyDelete