Monday, November 8, 2010

My time in jail (5)

I was approached by a guy my age who noticed I was new in prison and straight up asked me what I was in for. I had been so busy processing all the new impressions that I had completely forgotten the background story I had drawn up for myself. Trying not to panic I told him the first thing that came to mind: "Shoplifting. You?"

He looked at me for a bit, then told me he had gotten into a drunken fight after a long night clubbing and was charged with assaulting a officer, although he didn't remember fighting with cops. Then he asked what I had really done since 'people don't go to jail for shoplifting'. I was frantically searching for an answer and felt like I had been caught doing something horrible. Trying to make it sound like I wásn't making it up as I went, I thought back to a newspaper article about cybercrime and told him 'shoplifting' was also a term used for hacking into banking networks and attempting to steal credit card information. Feeling proud at my sudden stroke of brilliance I couldn't suppress a faint smile. He apparently accepted my answer and we chatted for a bit. How long we'd be in for, girlfriends, family, jobs, all the basics passed by. I got the impression this guy hadn't been getting along with the other inmates and liked talking to me.

The work-master told me what I had to do at the workplace which was quite easy (just roll up door mats and put them in plastic). He was friendly enough, but clearly not someone you'd mess with. The guards and other employees in general seemed fairly jovial, not giving the inmates grief if they weren't asking for it. Heck, some of the inmates even cook for the guards, that's how friendly some of them are with each other.

Continued in my next post.

32 comments:

  1. wow, it doesn't sound all that bad, but then again you're not in the hardcore wing ;O

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait for more, you have attention captured!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a gift for you
    http://www.prisonbitchname.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. shouldve told him you gutted a man and ate him :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interseting story you got there! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving your jail posts....you need to bring them out faster or put more into them lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I said, it's sad that there's good people inside, hehe. Bad for that guy, and I like to read about your great experience, I wouldn't like to enter to a jail, but perhaps I'd accept enter to a Big Brother house, lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. how friendly "some" of them are .. at least you were not in the F wing ..i don't think the F-wing prisoners would also be friendly :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story is so intense! I'm waiting for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been a pleasure reading your experience. It's nice to see actual side of prison vs what the media portrays it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I carnt wait to see how this ends, your giving me an insight into a world I will (hopefully) never see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice choice of crime,no one goes to jail for shoplifting xD

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol good association with the hacking crime :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really becoming kinda epic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a very brave man, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Of Pericles, to rage the city turn, Following!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, it's not as bad as American History X, then!

    Or maybe they didn't rape you because you weren't a real inmate...

    ReplyDelete